Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Hate singing and yelling and screechy voices? Play Catan

Joystiq writers have been playing a bit of Catan on XBL lately. And what have they discovered? Players stay til the end of games, and there are no obnoxious noises when you play. (Like locust killer).

People will instantly argue that Catan brings a different crowd to Xbox Live and given our experience that is absolutely true. And we love it! Catan, combined with Uno (although there are caveats with Uno), shows that there is a different demographic out there in Xbox Live land. Now does this stop the calls for an adults only section for Xbox Live? Not a chance. It would still be nice to play Halo without the ... let's just call it "noise." All we know is if this Catan community is the same that'll be into Carcassonne, then that's money well spent for a nice couple hours of gaming.
This may convince me to give it a try. What do you guys think.

3 comments:

Stompy said...

If only I knew what the hell that game was, I might be interested. But I'm saving my points for that pinball game that just came out. Shiiinnnyyyyy....

Besides, I don't put up with whining and singing and retards. I belong to an elite group of old farts and moms who don't put up with no young whipper snappers. You've not played GoW until you've played it completely idiot-free.

I don't even need a yet-to-be-released A-Hole button. Yet, we're not so geriatric that we have to resort to board games to have a good time. :-P

Ian said...

i thought it was a fun game but no one else bought it so thats 800 points wasted

Hammer said...

Settlers of Catan is a great board game -- gather resources, build roads, earn victory points. Standard stuff, really. I've played versions in Linux that haven't offered anything more than the board version.

I haven't played the XBL version. It can be hard to find Catan players because it is a long board game. I suppose XBL makes finding a 4-some easier.