Tuesday, May 8, 2007

New Madden 08 developer blog

You can read the entire post here.

One of the producers reaches back to 1997 to either remind us how far Madden has come, or how far it has fallen. He talks about money plays. Money plays are plays that work pretty much every time you try them, and ruin the online game.

3. The paradigm shift of money plays. Yep, Madden 97 had quite a few money plays and nano blitzes. Double Flags anyone? Flea Flicker anyone? Using the Lions anyone? But back then there was no online. When I saw my buddies go anywhere near Double Flags I’d punch them in the arm, and they’d do the same for me. Back then we never thought about money plays, because we just regulated ourselves. I’ll never forget getting online for the first time in Madden 03 and seeing how big of a deal they had become. I actually designed the playbooks in 04, so I can speak first hand that I had to spend a ton of time testing for exploits, when that was never even really much of a concern before. It seems like now it’s more about money routes than money plays. Do you all still see an abundance of money plays, or is it more about money “strategies” (i.e. scramble and throw the corner route…which we are fixing this year)?
I sure hope they fix it, because money plays make pick up games frustrating and unplayable.

No comments: